Collecting The Tomes
1. I acquired books through her Scholastic Book order from school. I would add on a book or two for the calendar, particularly in the "packs" where you can often get 4 or 5 books for less than $1/ea. I arranged with the teacher to pick them up separately so LL wouldn't see them.
2. I visited the local library's book sale and scored some gently used gems.
3. I would pick up a book when I visited an Indie Bookstore.
4. I would look in the children's sections of the bookseller I was patronizing on ABE.com and add a few books to my order (typically for no additional shipping charge).
5. You could also visit your local used book store.
Presenting The Tomes
1. I bought a bulk pack of flat brown paper bags. I made sure to get them medium to large because the book sizes vary. I used brown paper because we compost.
2. I "wrapped" them in the bags and used tape to adjust to each size. TIP: Choose your order BEFORE you wrap.
3. I labeled them with gift tags I found in the bargain bin at the craft store. I used number stamps to indicate the day on the tag but you could just as easily hand-number.
4. Finally, I arranged them in a basket and we were ready to go!
It might seem daunting to purchase 24 book but I got them all for under $30. I wish (I WISH!) I had made a list of the books she got last year, but I didn't. I learned this year and here are the 2014 Lil Lampshade Advent Books (she's 7):
Mister and Lady Day: Billie Holiday and the Dog Who Loved Her by Amy Novesky
Mother Teresa: A Life of Kindness by Ellen Weiss
Precious and the Boo Hag by Patricia C. McKissack & Onawumi Jean Moss
The Year Without A Santa Claus by Phyllis McGinley
Swirl by Swirl: Spirals in Nature by Joyce Sidman
The Story of Snow: The Science of Winter’s Wonder by Mark Cassino & Jon Nelson
Library Mouse: A World to Explore by Daniel Kirk
E-MERGENCY! By Tom Lichtenheld & Ezra Fields-Meyer
Tallulah’s Toe Shoes by Marilyn Singer
Astronomy: Out of This World! By Dan Green
Fluffy Saves Christmas by Kate McMullan
Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole
Who Pooped in the Park by Gary D. Robson
Human Body: A Book with Guts by Dan Green
I Have a Little Dreidel by Maxie Baum
Amelia Earhart: The Legend of the Lost Aviator by Shelley Tanaka
Katie the Candy Cane Fairy by Tim Bugbird
Music: Hit the Right Note by Dan Green
The Little Drummer Mouse by Mercer Mayer
Mythbusters Science Fair Books #1-2 by Samantha Margles
Rosa Parks: A Life of Courage by Tonya Leslie
Can You See What I See?: The Night Before Christmas by Walter Wick
Biblioburro: A True Story from Columbia by Jeanette Winter
Who Was Sally Ride? by Megan Stine
The Gingerbread Man Loose in the School by Laura Murray
I would love to hear from you in you have a BiblioTradition in your family! Happy Holidays!